Stepcraft 2 - 840 Build

Discussion about tools of the RC trade.

Moderator: Moderators

pvolcko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stepcraft 2 - 840 Build

Post by pvolcko »

So I figured I'd do a build thread on the Stepcraft 2 desktop CNC machine.

I started around 2pm Saturday afternoon and ended around 2am Sunday morning. :)

Packaging: The unit was shipped in two parcels. 1 large flat rectangular box weighing about 72lbs and then another large, but lighter 23lb box. The 72lb box contained the machine itself. The lighter box contained all the extras: spindle, debris extractor, milling bits, 3D print head, drag knife, hot wire foam cutter, etc.

The Stepcraft machine was well packed in the heavy box. The base plate and milling surface were attached to the bottom of a large styrofoam part holder. On the top all the pieces were neatly separated into sections. The foam gave way at one spot and there were some resulting scuffs on the y axis rails, but some 220 grid sandpaper took care of the burrs and got things smooth again. All in all, not quite a SAB goblin transmission and main rotor in terms of packaging and presentation in the box, but pretty close. :)

I started off by removing everything and putting it out on a secondary table.
stepcraft_01.jpg
stepcraft_01.jpg (217.62 KiB) Viewed 3990 times
stepcraft_02.jpg
stepcraft_02.jpg (106.32 KiB) Viewed 3990 times

Check out the manual. Very nicely done. A couple spots ended up being a little tricky, but Stepcraft provides youtube videos in those spots to make things clear.
stepcraft_05.jpg
stepcraft_05.jpg (178.24 KiB) Viewed 3990 times

And so the build begins. The manual is broken up into sections. Most of the first half is dedicated to building the Z axis assembly and the gantry assembly.

Here's a few shots of the z-axis sub assembly.
stepcraft_09.jpg
stepcraft_09.jpg (174.48 KiB) Viewed 3990 times
stepcraft_10.jpg
stepcraft_10.jpg (232.86 KiB) Viewed 3990 times
stepcraft_11.jpg
stepcraft_11.jpg (194.55 KiB) Viewed 3990 times

Next were the motor and screw and then putting it and z-axis assembly together into the full toolholder assembly.
stepcraft_12.jpg
stepcraft_12.jpg (250.83 KiB) Viewed 3990 times
stepcraft_13.jpg
stepcraft_13.jpg (183.64 KiB) Viewed 3990 times

Then came the gantry assembly. This got to be a bit of a pain in the butt. Both because I needed a larger work surface to assemble the whole thing and because I didn't cut some of the loom tubing as directed and ended up having to undo some looming and assembly to get at the section I needed to cut.
stepcraft_14.jpg
stepcraft_14.jpg (209.26 KiB) Viewed 3990 times

With the gantry assembled next came the "table" and y-axis motor/drive assembly. I neglected to take pictures of that y-axis drive setup. You'll see the motor mounted at the rear of the machine, but that's about it. That motor drives a set of belt pulleys (very much like Goblin tail pulleys) which attach to the two long y-axis screws on either side of the machine.
stepcraft_15.jpg
stepcraft_15.jpg (186.63 KiB) Viewed 3990 times
stepcraft_16.jpg
stepcraft_16.jpg (166.07 KiB) Viewed 3990 times

Next was installing the bottom plate. This was a bit of a pain. It had to slide into two small channels on the bottom of the side rails.
stepcraft_17.jpg
stepcraft_17.jpg (131.02 KiB) Viewed 3990 times

Next was installing the gantry and doing gantry alignment. Alignment entailed manually manipulating the screws to get the front of the gantry (both sides) at the same distance from the front of the table. Then when it came time to put the drive belt on the back, you had to be sure not to change the position of the screws. Easier said than done. Of everything in the build, this is the part I expect I screwed up and will need to redo once I start running and testing it.
stepcraft_18.jpg
stepcraft_18.jpg (187.15 KiB) Viewed 3990 times

Then came wiring. This was a pain in the arms. I didn't have a good way to prop the thing up on end so I ended up having to sit on the floor with the brains and wires above me. Damn screw terminal blocks! This was easily the least considered part of the build process and manual. I don't know if they could have done it another way, but it sucked. Again, I neglected to take pictures of this process. I was busy swearing and trying to keep my legs from falling asleep.

You'll notice the front plate and emergency shutoff switch is installed now, too.
stepcraft_20.jpg
stepcraft_20.jpg (167.06 KiB) Viewed 3990 times

Lastly was installing the feet and the working surface. The feet are very hard rubber and attach with thin double sided adhesive gel pads (much thinner than the FBL unit gel adhesives). One foot ended up getting ripped off and, of course, it landed on the adhesive on the floor, ruining the adhesive. So I need to get something to use instead. I'd have preferred if the feet attached with screws instead. The working surface, didn't fit on the first go around. I ended up having to loosen the rails on front and back and space them out some more. I may reloosen and push the sides back together now that it is in there.
stepcraft_21.jpg
stepcraft_21.jpg (167.21 KiB) Viewed 3990 times

Ideally (and the manual assumes, based on the way they do things) that you more or less have 360 degree access to the work area as you're building it. I did not, I was building on the desk that would house it when done, tucked up against the wall. So I ended up having to turn move and turn things around several times throughout the process. Toward the end when it was 72lbs and larger than the desk top... well it got aggravating. Back is a bit sore this morning. :)

And a quick final note. This is their large size model, 840mm. I didn't realize how large the machine would be. I could have gone with the 600mm version and been just fine. As it is, the machine just barely fits on the desk top and is cramped in the corner I have it in. I'll probably end up clearing out a different area, building a larger desk (or perhaps attaching a larger top to the current one) and moving the whole thing.

Next up will be installing software, powering it up and taking it for a spin. :)
Paul Volcko
RC-Hangout's Google+ | Paul's Google+
Citizen #72 - Bending and breaking helis since Jan 2013
Goblin 500, 700 - TRex 700 - Blade 550X, 300CFX - Spektrum DX9
Graham Lawrie

Re: Stepcraft 2 - 840 Build

Post by Graham Lawrie »

Nice one Paul:) great thread:)
Align 600
Align 550
Align 450 Pro V2 AR7200BX
Align150
Mini-Quad 250/Emax NightHawk /Fossil V2/TBS Disco/Volt
DX6i
MHS Brain/Spartan Vortex/AR7200BX /Microbeast Plus HD
Blade mqx
Scorpion BUG
Fatshark Predator V2 & Mobius

CITIZEN # 521
Stambo

Post by Stambo »

I am sooo jealous right now. :D
RCX 250 Minquad FPV addiction
500 X quad FPV/AP platform
450 X quad set up for night flight
Multiple WLToys V911, V949, V959
Taranis, Turnigy 9X
Fatshark Predator, Immersion 5800 Duo
Trex 500 Esky Belt CP V2
cml001
Supporter
Supporter

Post by cml001 »

Very jealous indeed! Pretty nice machine bud!
Team Synergy / Rail Blades / Pro Tune
Pulse Battery
Castle Creations
Morgan Fuel
Lee

Post by Lee »

Really green with envy.
What are your plans for it?
GOBLIN 570------IKON
WARP 360--------IKON
QAV 500----------Open Pilot
RCXH250---------Open Pilot

Citizen #229
pvolcko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pvolcko »

Not sure. Custom plaques and engravings. Some vinyl cutting. Got some wood working projects in mind. Prototype circuit boards, enclosures, and other stuff for a side biz I'm involved with. And rc stuff as it comes along.

Mostly wanting to learn the tech.
Graham Lawrie

Post by Graham Lawrie »

Sounds great Paul:) you have certainly got a very capable machine there:)
Align 600
Align 550
Align150
DX6i
Blade mqx
Scorpion BUG

CITIZEN # 521
pvolcko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pvolcko »

Finally got some time to make some progress. Got the software installed and hooked it all up. Ran the axes to each end and got things all aligned. I'm having an issue with the y-axis. Seems to hang at random spots through the travel. Suspecting either I have the rail tension too tight or there is a marginal stepper motor connection that's intermittently causing commutation errors.

But I did out the spindle with a 1/8" ball end mill and ran a test on some corrugated cardboard. Test ran well. Did some rezeroing tests. Z and x axis are dead nuts on. But y-axis slips so it frequently misses the mark.

Unfortunately getting at the wiring is a chore. Will try loosening the rail tension first. Then will try leveling the desk and machine. I've already adjusted the rail ends to avoid binding so that should be good. If all that fails I'll have to do the gyrations to get at the wire connections and check them.

Interesting note. The spindle has a hacker brushless motor in it. Maybe I'll make a custom spindle using that 200A KDE motor I got for the blade 550x. :-)
cml001
Supporter
Supporter

Post by cml001 »

What u got the 550?
Team Synergy / Rail Blades / Pro Tune
Pulse Battery
Castle Creations
Morgan Fuel
pvolcko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pvolcko »

The KDE motor I have? Yeah it's the 550XF I think. Been a while since I looked at it. Sitting on a shelf. I should sell it. I had plans to use it in the 550X, but I'm wanting to put that back together and get it cleaned up to sell this spring.

Anywhoo... SUCCESS! I have been doing battle with the y-axis jams since my last post. I finally figured out the problem. There is a belt sprocket held on by a set screw and a nyloc nut on the back of the two y-axis screws. The right side screw was moving free and clean all through the travel, but the left side was getting hung up. I tried every way I could think to get the screw aligned properly in the track. I got at the wiring and redid the y-axis motor, on the theory that one of the wires was loose. Turns out everything was a bit loose, but nothing had connection problems. I snugged it all up and put a grounding wire onto the apparatus for good measure. Still the y-axis is jamming and skipping and being a pain in the ass.

Hours wasted trying to figure this thing out.

I had screwed around with the two y-axis screws enough now where I needed to realign everything. So I decide to pull the sproket off the left side to see if the bearings are bad (feeling a lot of notchiness, a lot like a bad bearing on a main shaft on a heli). First, I snap the business end off one of my align hex drivers trying to loosen the nut. Turns out I was turning it the wrong way. So I have to replace that (the black handled one, 1 or 1.5mm). I manage to get the nyloc nut off and amazingly the whole thing is loose and free and smooth as butter!

Eureka!

I put the nut back on but this time just snug enough to put a little tension on things. Realign the tram, thread the belt, retension it and...

Full speed traversals on all axes!

I made up a stupid little drawing to test things out and it finally worked right. I'll get some pics of the bad and good attempts. :)

Need to replace that one hex end. Build a better, bigger, more level and stable table for the machine (and clear out a bigger area for it in the basement). But I'm super happy this thing is working now, finally.
Paul Volcko
RC-Hangout's Google+ | Paul's Google+
Citizen #72 - Bending and breaking helis since Jan 2013
Goblin 500, 700 - TRex 700 - Blade 550X, 300CFX - Spektrum DX9
Graham Lawrie

Post by Graham Lawrie »

Nice one Paul:) looking forward to seeing them :)
Align 600
Align 550
Align150
DX6i
Blade mqx
Scorpion BUG

CITIZEN # 521

Return to “Tools”